22 April 2015

Food: Classic Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid-week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

Spaghetti bolognese (or spag bol to most of us) has been my favourite dinner for as long as I can remember. I used to beg my mum to make it all the time and I could have probably eaten it every night if I could. I therefore like to think I have perfected my recipe to quite possibly the best spag bol recipe there is.

I don't use carrots or celery in my recipe but I know that a lot of the traditional ones do.  You will also find recipes that use half pork and half beef mince but I like to keep things simple and stick to just beef and sometimes bacon (depending on my mood and what's in my fridge).  I used to cook it for a long time over the hob but a Jamie Oliver recipe suggested cooking it in the oven and I much prefer this method.

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

An easy mid week recipe. Spaghetti Bolognese

Serves 4
Ingredients
500g lean mince beef
1 red onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon (optional)
200ml red wine
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 sprigs of rosemary (leaves picked and finely chopped)
1 beef oxo cube
Spaghetti/pasta

Method
Heat a little oil in a saucepan and add the chopped onion, garlic, rosemary and bacon if using it and fry for 5 minutes.

Add the mince beef and break up with a wooden spoon.

Once brown add the tomato puree and cook on a low heat for 5-6 minutes.

Add the red wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the wine has reduced.

Add the chopped tomatoes and the oxo cube.

Bring to the boil and transfer into a casserole dish with a lid. Put into a preheated oven of 180 degrees and cook for 1 hour. After 30 minutes give it a stir and if it's looking a little dry add some water.

Cook the pasta or spaghetti according to the pack instructions.

I always add loads of cheddar cheese on top (much more than the photos)

Serve and enjoy!

 Do you have a go-to classic spag bol recipe? or do you add any extra ingredients in your bolognese? Let me know in the comments below!

Nicola Bhamra

No comments:

Post a Comment