15 April 2015

Food: Chicken Satay with Rice and Peas

chicken satay recipe, a midweek easy cheap and delicious meal

This is such a simple dish but is a winner winner chicken dinner in our household!

The part that takes the longest time in this recipe is the prep work, and really it doesn't take that long at all!  I got this recipe from the BBC Good Food website (you can find it here) which I found one evening on my laptop with a craving for peanut chicken satay.  After scrolling through pages and pages of pinterest-worthy but oh-so-many-ingredients recipes I decided to change my search words.  Instead I searched 'easy chicken satay recipe' and found this one that was really written for parents to make with their children. A brilliant, fool proof, even a child could do it recipe! Fantastic, I thought. I better not cock this up!

The only thing I changed about this recipe was the method of cooking. Instead of cooking on wooden skewers, I fry the pieces of marinated chicken.  This is solely because I can't get my grill to work. Oh and I didn't bother making the cucumber salad.

chicken satay recipe, a midweek easy cheap and delicious meal

chicken satay recipe, a midweek easy cheap and delicious meal

chicken satay recipe, a midweek easy cheap and delicious meal

chicken satay recipe, a midweek easy cheap and delicious meal

Ingredients
For the marinade:
1 small piece of finely chopped ginger
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tsp clear honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp mild curry powder
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter

Everything else:
500g pack diced skinless chicken breast fillets
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp vegetable oil

Method

Firstly prep the marinade.  I like to do this the day before to leave overnight in the fridge but you could do this a few hours before.

In a bowl add the ginger, garlic, lime, honey, soy sauce, curry powder and peanut butter.  Basically everything that makes the marinade to make that easier for you.

If the marinade is a bit thick and dry I add a little bit of water to it to make it more smooth and saucy.

Take two thirds of the marinade out and keep aside (to make the sauce later).

Tip in the diced chicken to the remaining third of marinade, mix together, cover and leave in the fridge.

When you are ready to cook, heat a large frying pan on high heat and add the chicken.  Fry until fully cooked through, turning occasionally.  You want the chicken to go brown and the marinade to caramelize.

Meanwhile tip the leftover marinade into a saucepan and add the coconut milk.  Heat, whilst stirring continuously until the sauce has reduced down.

Once the sauce has reduced and the chicken has cooked through add to some cooked rice and peas.

Serve and enjoy!

Let me know if you have a favourite chicken satay recipe in the comments below or if you give this one a go don't forget to tweet/instagram/send me a pic of the final result.

xxx

Nicola Bhamra

2 comments:

  1. Mmm this looks gorgeous! I could do with this right now.
    Alex // www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, it tastes as good as it looks!

      Delete